Monday, December 31, 2012

2013, Here We Come!

Between zombies and doomsday foretelling Mayans, 2012 sure packed a punch.  Here at Goober Central, we've had several big things happen too, both good and bad.

2012 has brought many smiles, many tears, and lots of laughter.  Our Goober turned two in September and got his official diagnosis of classical autism in October.  In November we had a big move from Ohio to Virginia.  And just today, December 31, my boy helped me feed him with a spoon for the first time.

We've seen improvements in his speech, we've gotten him to drink from a sippy cup, lost a lot of speech and regressed back to a bottle, regained some of the speech and got him back on the cup except for sleep times.  We've lost a good sleep schedule, spent months with a horrible sleep schedule, got him on melatonin and got the good sleep schedule back.  We learned how to walk and started using a big boy bed. We can follow simple directions to certain games.  We no longer eat every piece of paper we find, although we love the taste of stink bugs, apparently.  We no longer say "ah ah" and instead say "no."  And we use "yes" and "no" appropriately.  We know to open the fridge when we want something to drink, even if it drives Momma and Dada up the bloody walls!  We could count to 16 and now we're down to 9.  We know most of our ABC's, but not in order.  We're nowhere near potty training.  We've perfected the tantrum and have meltdowns of epic proportions.

So what do I want to see happen in 2013?  I want my boy to be able to feed himself with a fork and spoon.  I want him completely off the bottle.  And I want him to put himself to sleep at night.  Anything else is just gravy.  I want to get him set up with EI, OT, and Speech.  I want to lose weight, get a job, and eliminate as much negativity from my life as possible.  I want to continue to advocate for autistic people and their families. And I would love to join a Walk.  I want to blog more, write more, and do more things as a family.

Not ambitious at all, huh?

Oh, and since I mentioned LSSU's Banished Words in an earlier post, so here they are in a nutshell:

1. Fiscal Cliff
2. Kick the can down the road
3. Double down
4. Job creators/creation
5. Passion/Passionate
6. YOLO
7. Spoiler Alert
8. Bucket List
9. Trending
10. Superfood
11. Boneless Wings
12. Guru

I advise going to the link and looking up the explanation to some of these.  I have to say though, if I never hear YOLO again, I will die happy.

Happy New Year!  I'll see you in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment